How to Choose the Right Canada Immigration Program


Now that you’ve made up your mind to immigrate to Canada, what next? The number one task on your list involves finding out the Canada immigration program you should apply for.

There are major differences between a temporary visa and permanent residency. Another thing is that each comes with a wide range of options. Let’s check them out.


Temporary Visa

This type of visa allows immigrants to move to Canada for a limited time. It’s advisable to leave immediately your visa expires. Immigrating to Canada for study or work can help you to obtain permanent residency, especially if you don’t qualify for permanent residence programs.

1. Work

Individuals with this type of permit can live and work in Canada until their work permit expires. They must also adhere to the terms and conditions of the permit.

  • Open Work Permit

An open work permit doesn’t require a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). It’s a rare type of permit as it’s meant for adults who are traveling with their family members only.

  • Employer specific work permit

People with an authentic job offer can obtain the employer-specific work permit. It requires an LMIA.

  • Post-graduation Work Permit

A post-graduation work permit is designed for international students who want to live and work in Canada once they graduate.

  • International Experience Canada (IEC)

This type of permit came into existence as a result of the bilateral agreement Canada signed with some countries. It allows citizens of such countries to travel and work in Canada.

The three categories under IEC include working holiday, young professional, and international co-op internship.

2. Study

A study permit is a must if you want to enroll in any Canadian institution for a program that exceeds six months. Once you’ve gained admission, prepare your letter of acceptance with the other necessary documents.

3.  Visitor

It’s important to obtain any of these visas if you’re planning to enter Canada as a visitor:

  • Single Entry Visa

You can only use a single entry visa once and it’s for a specific time. The validity of this type of visa is around 6 months. Individuals must reapply for another visa for the next visit.

  • Multiple Entry Visitor Visa

Unlike the single entry visa, you can travel to Canada and leave within 6 months without reapplying each time. It is valid for a maximum of 10 years.

  • Super Visa

Your parents or grandparents are eligible for a super visa if you’re a permanent resident or citizen in Canada. The validity of this type of visa is 10 years.

  • Electronic Travel Authorization

An electronic travel authorization (ETA) is created for individuals without a work or study permit that are from a visa-exempt country. US citizens are exempted and can enter Canada with a valid US passport.

Permanent Residence

Permanent residence is your best bet if you’re ready to live and work in Canada permanently. These are some of the ways you can become a permanent resident in Canada:

1. Express Entry

Express Entry is arguably the most popular Canada immigration program. It comprises three federal economic programs namely, Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades, and Canadian Experience Class. The processing time can take up to 6 months or more.

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program

You can consider this option if you meet the standard for language requirements and have a minimum of one year of work experience. Your score on the FSW selection grid must not be less than 67 points.

  • Federal Skilled Trades Program

Applicants need at least two years of experience in a skilled trade, a valid job offer or a Canadian certificate of qualification to practice the trade, They must also meet the conditions for language requirements.

  • Canadian Experience Class

You’re eligible for this program if you’ve worked in Canada for a minimum of one year with a valid work permit. Ensure that you also meet the language requirements in the English language or French.

2.  Provincial Immigration

Each Canadian province has its immigration program referred to as Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP). Quebec offers the best immigration programs than any other province in Canada.

3.  Sponsorship

Immigrants who have a conjugal partner, spouse or common-law partner in Canada can apply for a spousal sponsorship. This program comes with two options known as the inland or outland sponsorship.

Apart from sponsoring spouses, citizens, and permanent residents can sponsor their parents, dependent children or grandparents to Canada.

1 comment
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like