If your website has been approved by Google AdSense to display ads, next thing you will need to learn is how to increase you google AdSense earning without trying to manipulate the program.
Google AdSense program is the best online advertising program for beginners that pays publishers to display ads on their websites / blogs. They pay in both CPC (Cost per click) and CPM (cost per 1000 impressions). Their CPC and CPM is usually little compared to other premium ads networks.
That doesn’t mean you cannot make enough money using AdSense. In fact, you are about to learn how to make up to USD $3,000 per month in revenue using Google AdSense Program alone. NO CHEATS! 100% your unique effort.
So, what’s up with AdSense?
I’m going to keep it simple.
AdSense program works by serving “targeted ads” on websites that comply with their programme policy. If you own a blog and have google AdSense running on it, when someone visit your blog, you earn. If someone clicks on those ads, again, you still earn.
That means when Google AdSense is running on your website, the flow of revenue becomes “automatic”, without you doing anything else but write quality content and drive traffic to your website.
NB: you can use the links below to navigate to any section of this great article.
What is google AdSense?
Google AdSense is an online advertising program run by Google, the leading company in the search engine space. This advertising company serves ads based on the contents of a website, making them the leading company again in the online advertising space.
For example, if your blog talks so much about “beauty and skincare”, then Google AdSense will display ads related “Beauty and skincare” on your website.
It is rarely seen in any advertising program.
Google AdSense program also allow you to choose what ads to display, or not to display on your website to make sure they serve relevant ads (More on this later).
They also rack your blog reader’s activities on the internet using web beacon to determine what ads they are most likely to interact with.
In a nut shell, AdSense does almost all the works for you and still pay you 68% of the money they charge advertisers.
Aha! That really good of them!
It is an opportunity for every website and blog owner to make extra money. The only criterion is that you should have a website / blog that is in compliant with their program policy.back to menu ↑
Understanding AdSense program terminologies
If you are newly approved in to AdSense, you may be frightened with terms like; Ad CTR, Effective CPM, and so others. Now is time to understand what they stand for and how they are used.
I will make is brief. I will only list some terminologies you need to know right now. If you want to read the rest of the glossary and terminologies, kindly refer to this page.
- Page Impression: A page impression is the number of times a page is viewed. But sometimes, page impression may differ from the data in your google analysis, this is because AdSense does not count pages where ads were not displayed.
- Ad Unit Impression: an ad unit impression is the number f times an ad gets executed each time a page loads on the user’s browser.
- Clicks: A click is recorded whenever a website user clicks on one of the ads display on your website.
- Click-through-rate: this is the number of clicks received by an ad unit divided by the total number of ad unit impression for the same ad.
- Effective CPM: This is calculated as the cost per 1000 impression, however, do not confuse effective CPM with your earnings. In fact, Effective CPM is calculated by dividing your earnings by the number of page impressions, and then multiply the final figure by 1000.
- CPM: Cost per 1000 Impression (CPM) is the cost for every one thousand impressions an ad unit gets. It is determined by advertisers. If the CPM for an ad unit is $10, then you will be paid $10 every one thousand times that ad is displayed.
Google AdSense ads filtering mechanism
Another interesting thing about Google AdSense program is the “filtering mechanism” used to filter ads for displaying them on your website. The purpose of filtering ads is to choose the best-matched ads.
- The relevance of content: this is the most important ad filtering criterion used by AdSense program. It is the filtering concept that gives google AdSense program an important edge over other online advertising programs. Google AdSense determines the topic of your website content and serves ads based on what your blog talks about.
- Appropriateness of content: there are different websites and blogs built on different themes. For example, there are blogs on the “adult theme”, and google knows just that. Since Google AdSense program is open to anyone, both publishers and advertisers, they also control the content of the ads to prevent going off sense for anyone who will see the ads. Google does this by using sensitive language filters and language experts to determine the theme of a blog or website.
- Competition filter: since google serves ads based on the content of your blog, it is possible that your own competitor’s ads may show up on your blog. To avoid this, Google provides a facility for blog owners, where they can specify competitors or advertisers whose ads should not display. This is very useful if you do not want to lose your traffic to your competitors.
- Own filters: you can as well choose your own default ads to display in case google AdSense program is not able to serve ads due to unavailability of suitable ads.
Content optimisation – the real money maker!
Remember the popular saying; “Content is King”. It is applicable to all aspect of online business, even blogging and making money from AdSense. If you don’t create good content, nobody will visit your blog, and if no one visits your blog, there will be no ad impression and you won’t make any money with AdSense.
Content creation, in this case, is a little bit more strategic. Remember you are not creating content for Search Engine (even though you should). The key here is making money with AdSense, let’s concentrate on that.
Discovering the most profitable niche
By now, you should have known that some topics are more profitable than others, even in drop-shipping and affiliate marketing. AdSense not exceptional.
Advertisers are not bid equal, so you should expect differences in CPM and CPC.
A while ago, Elizaveta Shutova Of SEMrush did a research and found out the top paying AdSense keywords in the United States, having “Insurance” at the very top of their list with an average CPC of $17.55
You can do a similar topic research using SEMrush’s CPC MAP tool to estimate an average cost per click of a niche or use keyword magic tool to find the CPC of a keyword.
It doesn’t necessarily have to be a $17.55 CPC before you can make a reasonable profit. If you have a blog with tons of traffic coming in, even as little as $1.90 per click can add up. Though it will not add up as quickly as that of $17.55 per click. So, always start with niche research.
Make sure you don’t create content outside the theme of your blog and remember to follow Google’s content creation policy
I must tell you the truth, if you are starting a blog or a website for the purpose of making money with AdSense without adding value, you will be disappointed.
What you need to make reasonable amount of money from Google AdSense is “Traffic”. – About 4,000 daily traffic, and the only thing that can bring in such amount of traffic is when your content serves a purpose.
Take AdSense aside and ask yourself these questions:
- Who am I writing for?
- What’s their need? And why should they read my blog?
- Does my blog have answers to their questions?
- Will they be satisfied reading my blog?
If you can answer these questions, you are one step ahead. Next step is to research your content idea.
Having known these profitable keywords in mind, I usually use free tools like Quora and Reddit to find content ideas.
Remember you are writing your blog contents for a particular set of people with a similar kind of problems. And the best place to find them is where they gather most.
Quora is a free Q&A website where people come to ask questions and get answers. Using these questions, you can come up with a content idea.
For example, if you want to white on the insurance space, but don’t know what to write about, you can take any keyword from the insurance industry and search Quora for questions related to them. It will give you a lot of ideas to write about.back to menu ↑
Getting the best result from Google AdSense Program
We are coming to the most interesting part of this guide. Here, I will talk about some tips that can help you enhance your AdSense revenue, after all, “it’s all about money”
The amount of money you will get from AdSense totally depend on your abilities. I have some tips here that can help you do USD $3,000+ every month from AdSense, but you must play along.
1. Use Channels: Channels helps in conducting a better analysis of the performance of your AdSense ads. You can use custom channels to check what web pages are performing better than others in terms of making more money. In fact, you can use custom channels to calculate analysis on multiple aspects at the same time.
You can use those analyses for making amendments to your AdSense ads placements or website content in other to get better results.
2. Ad positioning and customisation: The size, shape and colour are the three main properties of AdSense you can easily control and customise in a way that the ads don’t look out of place when served on a page of your website. You can either make them stand out on their own or make them blend with the rest of the contents on your page.
Ads side positioning is the best way to attract more clicks, and I have some tips for you:
- The leader board (728 x 90) at the top of a page or at the header area of your website performs better in most cases.
- A large rectangle (336 x 280) at the sidebar area of a webpage has shown to perform well too.
- Skyscraper (300 x 600) at the sidebar of your website also works wonders.
- Responsive ads units in the middle of content or just after the content, when users are about to leave also works fine.
3. Content quality: like I’ve said earlier, if you host quality contents on your blog and provide regular updates to your visitors, you can expect more traffic that also means an increase in ad impressions and clicks.
4. Use ads on all pages: since you can’t tell for sure which page a visitor will visit when they land on your website, it is recommended that you include AdSense ads on every single page on your blog to make sure you don’t miss any opportunity.back to menu ↑
USD $3,000 per month, how to get there
Google AdSense program has given an altogether new purpose to websites. Besides selling products and services, websites now generate revenue through serving ads. There is honestly no limit to how much you can make using AdSense. I tagged this post “$3,000 / month”, but strategic with ads and content optimisation, you can make you can make even up to $10,000 per month. I’ve seen Linda Ikeji hitting that figure with her gossip blog (lindaikejisblog.com)
To get the best out of AdSense and probably hip more than $3,000 per month, you should:
- Attract high-value AdSense ads: your AdSense revenue is based on different factors. One of those factors is the “value of ads”. Some AdSense ads produce more value when they click on, or when they are views on a web page than others. It is determined by the keywords your content is optimised around. Using SEMrush’s CPC map, you can predict the CPC value of a keyword. If you choose a topic with a high CPC value, you will attract more valued AdSense ads on your website.
- Traffic Generation: Since the revenue from Google’s AdSense program is based on CPC(cost per click) and CPM (cost per 1000 impressions) basis, you are not going to make up to $3,000 per month with traffic less than 60,000 page views per month. And to get that, you need about 2000 page views a day. So, create more contents and drive traffic to them.
- Ads Placement: where your ads are placed on a page matters also. You don’t want to have your ads hidden where visitors cannot see them. You should not also le it destruct your content. Placing it in a way that it can be seen without affecting user experience is the key to getting more clicks.
- Use multiple ads units: Google allows you to use up to 3 ads units on a page. Since your ads revenue is based on clicks and impressions, a higher number of ads you place on a page can potentially increase your earnings. However, do not go with the maximum allowed ads unit if you do not have enough content on a page. This might offend Google and your blog readers as well.
- Use wider ads format: though formats provide different results for different websites and blogs, the wider ads formats are generally known to be more effective than the narrower counterparts.
- Limit the filters: Filters are used to block ads you do not want to be shown on your website. For example, ads of your competitors, or ads that do not have good CPC value. However, too many filters can seriously limit your revenue potentials from AdSense ads.
- Create more Contents: the more contents you create, the more visitors you attract. For example, if you have up to 500 pages on your website or blog and each of these pages produce 80 views per day. That will result in 40,000 page views a day and about 1.2 million monthly page views. Which means more ads impressions and more clicks.
Google AdSense program pays in both CPC and CPM basis, which means, you earn money each time ads run on your blog. their payout threshold is $100 which will be paid at the end of every month through your preferred payment option.